How to open RAR files on mac
Unfortunately, as of now, there is no Mac OS default app/tools that can open a RAR file extension. You will need to download a specific app to allow efficient file extraction. These downloadable apps, however, need to be secure and reliable for an efficient undertaking.
In our experience as Mac experts, we have come across many computer users who ask two crucial questions.
- What are RAR file extensions? and
- How to open a RAR file extension.
In this article, we will understand the best way of how to open RAR files on Mac. But before proceeding to answer this question, we need to answer the previous two most commonly asked questions.
Note that if you have hidden RAR files on your Mac, you should know how to unhide hidden files before extracting them.
1. What are RAR files?
RAR file extensions are compressed files that contain multiple files for easy access and efficient transfer. Some RAR file extensions are encrypted and have a password to enhance their safety. Also, the RAR file packagesare usually small and can help save on space.
RAR file extensions have become a preferred choice of sending multiple files over the internet. So you need to know how to open such kinds of files before receiving them over the internet.
2. How to open a RAR file
To open a RAR extension file, you will need to download a file extraction software. Most of the time, WinZip is the most commonly used software used to open such kinds of files.
- Download and run WinZip on your computer
- Navigate to the RAR file location
- Double click the file extension and wait for the extraction process.
The above procedure is used to open a RAR file on a windows device.
You can find below how to open RAR files on Mac.
Opening RAR Files on Mac
Mac OS has many applications that can help in extracting compressed files. Below is the step-by-step procedure to follow if you want to open RAR files.
Unarchiver is a small, easy to use, and free Mac OS app that can extract different file formats, including the RAR compressed files.
- Go to the App Store on your Mac.
- Search for “the Unarchiver”
- Download, install and run the app.
- Open Unarchiver via the shortcut
- Click the open button located at the top left corner.
- A popup window will appear for you to choose the location of the RAR file.
- Select the particular file and click open.
- Click extract. You should choose a specific folder to extract your files to – or create a new folder to extract your RAR files.
Alternatively, you can drag and drop a RAR file after opening Unarchiver (on the unarchiver window).
Other ways of extracting files
- Right-click the RAR file
- Scroll down the popup window and select extract to the current folder with Unarchiver
Advantages of Unarchiver
- Size:13.6 MB
- Free to download
- Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor
- Apart from extracting RAR files, Unarchiver can also open other file extensions like ZIP.