The screen brightness setting is an important feature available on all PCs. You can adjust the brightness according to your preferences. Also, you should note that there are several ways of adjusting the level of brightness.
Some of these adjustment procedures are straightforward while others are a bit technical. Here, we will focus on all the available ways you can use, including the shortcuts available (regardless of the Windows 10 version you have installed).
Here are the available steps to adjust the screen brightness in Windows 10.
1. Adjusting the screen brightness automatically
Advanced computer models can adjust the screen brightness automatically. However, you should know if your Pc can also achieve this functionality.
How to tell If Your Pc is Supported
- Navigate to Settings
- Click Systems then Display
- Go to Brightness & Color
- Check whether you will see “Change brightness for the built-in display.” If it is available, it means that your PC can automatically adjust its brightness.
2. Adjusting the screen brightness Via the Quick Action Center
The action center allows you to perform various functionalities and adjust multiple computer settings, including changing the screen brightness, connecting to a network, changing the desktop background, setting up Bluetooth, turning on Bluetooth among other significant functionalities.
- Navigate to the start button
- Type Action Center on the search bar. Alternatively, you can simultaneously press the Windows + A keys to open the action center.
- Click the action center > then go to Brightness. You should see a slide bar where you can increase or dim the brightness. To decrease the brightness, move the slide bar to your left and vice versa to increase the brightness.
3. Adjusting the screen brightness From the Battery Icon
This is a straightforward adjustment process available on all windows versions. The process involves four easy to follow steps.
- On the desktop, navigate to the battery icon. It is usually located at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Right-click on the battery icon. A pop-up window will appear with several commands.
- Click the Adjust screen brightness.
- You will notice a slide bar(at the bottom of the window) where you can increase or lower the brightness. To decrease the brightness, move the slide bar to your left and vice versa to increase the brightness.
4. Adjusting the screen brightness via the Windows Mobility Center
This is another alternative that allows you to adjust the screen brightness.
- On the search bar, type Windows Mobility Center. A pop-up window with several commands should appear.
- Adjust the screen brightness directly from the window
Important to Note
Other functionalities like adjusting the battery status, adjusting the volume, and connecting external display are available on the window.
5. Adjusting the screen brightness via Control Panel
The control panel is considered the most basic alternative you can use to adjust the screen brightness, among other functionalities.
- On the search bar, type Control Panel
- Navigate to the Display tab
- Click Adjust brightness
- Increase or lower the brightness via the slide bar located at the bottom of the window.
6. Windows 10 brightness shortcuts
Alternatively, if you are not familiar with the other screen adjustment procedures or need a faster solution, you can successfully achieve it by following the below keyboard shortcut keys.
Different computer brands have dissimilar screen brightness keyboard functionalities.
For instance, if you are using a HP machine, you can either increase or decrease the screen brightness by pressing the F2 and F3buttons.
If you have a surface pro device, you should press the fn + DEL to increase the screen brightness and fn + BACKSPACE to decrease the screen brightness.
Other PC models have the screen adjustment buttons fitted on either of the following keys. F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11, F12. So, you need to physically check for a “sun icon” on your computer’s keyboard to identify the exact buttons indicated.
Also, you should note that some keyboard models can adjust the level of brightness after pressing a combination of two or more keys simultaneously.
– Opening the settings window
You can open the settings by pressing the (Windows + I) short cut key. Then navigate to the Display tab and scroll down to adjust the screen brightness.
Likewise, there are other alternatives for you to attempt if somehow all the above-discussed methods do not work. Below are two.
- Adjusting via Windows Power Shell and typing the recommended codes
- Adjusting the overall power mode from the battery settings/power options tab (depending on the Windows 10 version)
Consider attempting a procedure that is not only straightforward but efficient and fast. Pick a method that best suits your computer’s make and model.