A webcam is an essential tool that can help perform different computer-related functions. Therefore, you should test your computer’s webcam to confirm that it is indeed working efficiently.
Depending on your computer brand, there are careful steps that need to be taken. These steps, however, are somewhat almost the same.
In this article, we will look at how to test webcam on Windows 10, and the main reason behind it.
There are two options to pick.
- Offline Testing
- Online Testing
Why should you always test your webcam?
Different reasons can prompt you to test your computer’s webcam.
- If it is not recognizable
- If the drivers have malfunctioned. An ordinary occurrence in most plug and play webcams
Online Webcam Testing on Windows 10
The online testing procedure is a straight forward method of testing your Windows 10 webcam. Here are the steps to follow.
- On your browser (Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera Mini, or Internet Explorer), visit https://webcamtests.com/
If this link does not work, you can type “free webcam test” on your browser and click any of the first five links that will appear on your search engine.
- Click allow the website to access your webcam.
- You should be able to notice your webcam’s behavior.
- If it is not working/installed correctly, it will display an error message. If it is working correctly, you will be able to see yourself on the pop-up screen.
Other online solutions
Other online solutions can also help you test the webcam.
Skype & Zoom – These are computer apps that support the use of webcams. You can visit either Skype or Zoom, and under the video section, click the Video call. If your camera is working efficiently, you will be able to communicate with the other part. If not, then you will receive an error message.
Offline Webcam Testing on Windows 10
To test the camera if you are not online, you should follow the below steps.
- Click the start button.
- Type Camera. If it is working correctly, you will see an image on the screen. (Probably your image)
Note: If your webcam displays and error message, you should immediately troubleshoot it using the recommended steps.
How to Troubleshoot Webcam on Windows 10
The device manager can help you troubleshoot if there is a driver issue that is affecting the webcam from functioning correctly.
- Click the start button located at the bottom left of your screen.
- Type device manager or go to settings
- In settings, click Devices (printers, Bluetooth& scanners)
- Check for webcam/imaging devices.
- Double click on the specific device. A pop-up window will appear with different commands (General, Driver, and Details)
- Check under the Driver button if the device is working correctly. If it’s not, you will need to check for the device drivers on the internet.