In Windows 10, auto-brightness functions by adjusting the screen’s brightness based on the light perceived from your surroundings. This, in turn, prevents the screen from always being bright thus minimizing your computer’s power usage. However, most users prefer to adjust their screen brightness manually rather than use the Windows adaptive brightness feature.
Turning On and Off Auto-Brightness in Windows 10
You can turn off the Windows 10 adaptive brightness feature from the power option, the settings option, or Windows Services.
Here is a quick and convenient guide on how to enable or disable the auto-brightness on Windows 10:
- Navigate to the Start menu and type power options in the search bar.
- From the results that appear, click on Power & sleep settings to open it. Alternatively, you can navigate to the Control Panel then go to Hardware and Sound > Power Options. You may alsoright-click on the battery icon in the system tray, and click Power Options to open the same.
- On the left pane under Power Options, select and click on Choose when to turn off the display option. This will open the Edit Plan Settings window.
- Open the Power Options dialog by clicking on Change advanced power settings.
- Scroll down to Display and extend/expand it.
- Under theexpanded Display options, expand Enable adaptive brightness, and then select the Off option for both On battery and Plugged in.
- Lastly, save the changes by clicking on Apply and then on Ok.
How to Turn On or Off Auto-Brightness on Windows 10 from Settings
Using Windows Settings, you can also turn off or on Windows 10 auto-brightness. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click on Start > Settings. Alternatively, using your keyboard, simultaneously pressWindows + I.
- In the Settings window, click on System, and then from the left panel, click on Display.
- Turn Off the status option for Change brightness automatically when lighting changes.
Most recent computer models come with a built-in ambient light sensor. However, if you are unable to find the Adaptive Display setting in yours, then it means it does not have the sensor.
If, for some reason you also find your Windows 10 brightness slider bar missing, you can read our extensive guide to solve this issue.
In case turning off auto-brightness does nothing, follow these to disable it from Windows Services:
- Press Win + R and type services.msc then hit Enter.
- Double click on Sensor Monitoring Service in the Services window.
- Click on Stop. From the drop-down menu next to Startup type, select Disabled.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Conclusion On gadgets such as smartphones, auto-brightness is not only a great but also an intuitive feature. However, by turning the brightness feature off, your windows 10 computer improves its performance while also optimizing the battery life.